Lessons Learned the Hard Way

This is a bit of a long one, so I decided to put it into my blog as opposed to a quick Facebook or instagram post. As most of you will know, I have been training on an ongoing basis since October last year with the hopes of not only stepping on stage (that was goal no 1), but actually competing at a National level in figure category. 
This weekend brought the summer to a close with the F1 Southcoast Beach Body and Strongman competitions. For the first time, there was the added category of 'yummy mummy' and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to step on stage and rid myself of some more of my stage jitters. In the run up to the show, I was feeling great. My weight, which had been 70.5kg the last time I stepped on stage in May, has dropped to 69.2kg as a result of ongoing training and the correct nutrition. The condition of my legs has improved enormously compared to May - one of my goals through summer training (another box ticked). 
With guidance from my coach, I have finally begun to understand how my body reacts to specific foods - certain carbohydrates, salt, different meats, and following 8 weeks of trial and error, my kidney disease and oedema is much easier to control through clean eating and managing the stress load on my body.
To Summarise; I am 1 kg lighter than the last time I stepped on stage with 5 wks left to comp
My legs are in visibly better condition with more definition visible in my quads & hams
My kidney disease is better controlled, I have reduced my medication and my health is much improved on this time last year.

So you might be surprised to hear that this weekends show was one of the worst scenarios imaginable for me. 

I stood on stage with 3 other girls. One has been my training partner, inspiration and friend since I started this journey a year ago and a mother of 3. The second is a grandmother with the most unbelievable drive, determination and confidence as well as being a beautiful person both inside and out. And the third (not pictured below as I don't have any pics of the 4 of us together) travelled from Portlaoise, is a mum of one and was an absolute pleasure to meet for the first time. Each of these ladies are in amazing shape. All of us have trained hard, hit our targets and worked to have bodies that we can be proud of. This was a 'yummy mummies' comp. We were not judged on our muscle symmetry, nor were we judged on our posing routines. Actually, I'm not really sure what the scoring system was at all....I was doing it for some fun and stage experience and I relished every second I stood on stage. It was 4pm, I wasn't as well hydrated as I should have been (I can only limit fluids for a very short period of time due to my kidney issues) as I knew all the others would have fluid loaded and dehydrated in the days leading up to the show. I was hungry, and the clear lines that had been visible on my abdomen that morning were slowly starting to fade as the minutes ticked on through the long day. 
Where did this leave me? It left me being the only competitor not called 
back onto stage for the line up.
"paaaaaaaah!"
This was the noise in my head as I took that punch to the gut. All my hard work, consistent training, clean eating....and no freaking cake.......to be told - 'not good enough'. I felt, for a short fleeting second, absolutely gutted.
I smiled and shrugged and clapped for everyone on stage. The girls were beautiful! 
Vika came 1st. Stunning looking girl, body to die for, kind and genuine and a mum of 1. 
Michelle came 2nd. Mum of 3, working full time, figure and soon to be physique competitor in amazing shape.
Carol came 3rd. A mum, a grandmother and the youngest of all of us in terms of training age, but probably the best 6pack on stage.

What's the point I'm trying to make? 
I felt very low yesterday. I chatted with one of the judges afterwards and she advised that my posing didn't help to accentuate my good points and hide my not so good points. So I have made a plan and I am going to work hard at posing and finding what movements highlight my attributes. I achieved exactly what I wanted to - I LEARNED something new. But I learned it the hard way.
My point is this - I have a great body - I say this not out of vanity, but because I love my body. I am comfortable in it and I am in the best shape I have been in ....ever! I am refusing to let this black cloud completely drown out my enthusiasm and motivation for the weeks ahead. 

Despite being unable to dehydrate or diet to the extent of my fellow competitors, I still stood on stage, confident, mum of 3 beautiful children and felt proud of my body. 
I am disappointed, but Im not holding on to that. 
I have checked in with my coach @francisdiet this weekend with great progress made. I'm sticking to the plan and putting my head down to work over the next 5 weeks.

To any and all of you who compete - you are beautiful and brave and whether you place or not, don't let anyone make you think you are anything less than utterly amazing.
Thanks for the ongoing support folks. Onwards and Upwards xx







Comments

Post a Comment