EXERCISE TREND OR USELESS GIMMICK

"Lifts and flattens your bulging bay window".......
I love this ad. It shows a guy with a six pack and great muscle definition in his legs,wearing this 'Chevalier', to hide what exactly, I'm not sure! The implication here is that wearing this belt is going to make you look like you have a 6 pack. Surely nobody would fall for this one? However, I'm sure that sales of these items were through the roof in their day. I am also pretty sure that people wore them once or twice and then they were relegated to the back of the wardrobe for being the most uncomfortable garments imaginable.
So.....what about the quick fix? Is there really such a thing? Lets look at a few examples....

Toning Belts
I'm not going to mention any product names here for fear that I may be taken out and shot....but come on folks...."Lie back on the couch while this wonderful belt produces the 6 pack you have always wanted". Can I please point out now before we go any further, that this is NEVER going to happen.
After 20 minutes of this belt continuously contracting your abdominals, yes, of course you are going to be sore for 2 days after it, and yes it does feel like the muscles have done lots of work...but its the adipose layer lying on top of that muscle that is making your tummy look like cake mix....not 'saggy muscle'. Am I being harsh? Maybe so....but having been there, I know more that many, that there is no substitute for hard work. So, on my "What's Up/What's down" list....toning belts are somewhere way down the bottom!

Pilates & Yoga
What area of fitness do these two areas focus on? Pilates focuses primarily on core strength to protect the back and yoga also works on core stability. Both exercise types work on stability, balance, strength and mobility. Do these things help prevent injury, maintain mobility in the ageing population and allow for mind/body balance....yes they do! Do they promote weight loss? Not directly, but individuals taking part in Pilates or Yoga tend to move towards more intense exercise types as they become more limber and stronger. Pilates and Yoga aim to increase lean tissue mass throughout the body which is a very positive step in the right direction for those who may want to become more active and the more lean mass you have, the more efficient your body will become at burning calories at rest.

Spinning
Ok....so I may get hammered on this one as well, but here is my tuppence worth -
If you are training for a triathlon, or a long distance cycle or you have a VO2Max test coming up for a job - then get on the bike and get cycling. Personally, I can think of at least 5 different ways of enjoying myself on a bicycle......(they all involve sunny days and picnics.....don't be smutty)...none of which includes being in a stuffy room with 30 people cycling to nowhere for an hour. If I'm honest, I advise all of my weight loss clients to steer clear of spinning and if they do nothing else, thigh circumference decreases hugely. 1 hour of high stress aerobic exercise is not conducive to building muscle mass - so I'm afraid folks that it's not muscle that causing those favourite jeans to feel tight. Charles Poliquin, an internationally renowned strength and conditioning coach, has a huge amount to say about spinning - and none of it is good. Poliquin attributes the enlarged 'cottage cheese' thighs of some spinning enthusiasts to the body's storage of fats for fuel during sessions. That is one topic I would love to research! So, long story short - for fat loss, spinning is a no-no for me. If you are training for a bike race....go for it!

Exercise trends have gone from vibration bands in the last century, to commercial gyms with rows of aerobic equipment stretching as far as the eye can see. The current buzz word is 'functional' training. Anything that mimics real life movement (as opposed to someone specifically training for the olympics) and focuses on mobility is known as functional exercise...... Roll out the carpets for the onslaught of gimmicks......
While I am not one for gimmicks - (I am, at heart, a 'get my hands dirty' girl, and I believe that hard work with a bit of passion and enthusiasm thrown in is all that is needed) - there are many out there that need the 'something new and exciting' angle to get them motivated to move. So, I will reign in my cynicism for now as it has to be said, anything that gets people moving must be good. So here are some examples of what we should be looking for to get a full body workout;

ViPR
This is effectively a tubular log of varying weight with recessed handles. Yes - another gimmick...BUT, it introduces individuals to resistance training which has huge benefits to the body and when taught and monitored properly, it can be a great training tool. A number of Irish gyms are slowly introducing these new sessions into their class schedules.

TRX
This is one of my favourites! Stability, core, varying resistance, balance, mobility the possibilities are endless and the workout can be as aerobic or anaerobic as you wish. I have used a TRX rig many times as part of a high intensity circuit session and I have enjoyed it thoroughly as well. The litmus test for me is that at the end of a 30 minute session, clients are lying on the floor recovering as opposed to continuing the conversation about how they found the perfect lipstick to go with 'that dress' (I have been guilty of that one too!). One set up I have been very impressed by is Dennehy's Gym in Ballincollig. There is no fancy decor - just a fantastic clean airy space full of TRX rigs and a sound system that makes you sweat before you even start to move!

Zumba
As the only girl I know with the next step down from 'two left feet' - I can't comment on this! This class can be as easy or as difficult as you make it and while it gets the heart racing, I think that the main focus is the enjoyment factor. If it gets otherwise sedentary individuals up and moving - GREAT! Mobility, movement and balance play a large part in this class so I would suggest that a beginner would benefit hugely from a class like this. The Zumba instructers I know are very lean & fit individuals and that is probably as a result of their intensive dance training - if you want to sculpt your body into a strong lean zumba machine....I'm not sure one or even 3 Zumba classes a week are going to get you any major results. That being said, Zumba is fun (I have been informed by many of my clients) and if it makes people stick to a weekly exercise plan, it's ok in my books.

And finally, there is vibration training. I have to hold my hands up here and say I know a huge amount of nothing about this method of training - but this is by choice. The methods I work with, both in my own training and with my clients, are the type of training modalities that make you feel like you have achieved something.  My attitude is that at the end of every session, you should feel like you deserve a medal - This is where you can start to achieve results. "What machine do I need to get to train like this"....I hear you ask. And I will answer - A good personal trainer, with proven track record who is focused solely on teaching you how to achieve the results you want.

Comments